Nausea is a feeling of easement that comes before Vomiting. On the other hand, Vomiting is a forcible involuntary or voluntary emptying of your stomach's contents, pushing the contents through your mouth to which your body discards everything that has not been digested.
Causes of Nausea & Vomiting
Nausea and Vomiting can come with some symptoms and conditions, such as:
- Motion or seasickness
- Intense pain
- Food poisoning
- Gallbladder disease
- Stomach flu
- Bowel obstruction
- Brain tumour
- Smell or odour reaction
- Psychological illness
Why Nausea & Vomiting Happens
Nausea is an awful feeling that makes you feel queasy, leading to a sense that you are about to throw up. While it can be triggered by anything, nausea is an annoyance that you need to get rid of when you can. We have listed down a few ways you can get rid of Nausea and Vomiting to help you out.
- Sitting Straight - Sitting up can help you balance your internal system, making sure everything is set in place, and the fluids are working their way as they are meant to be.
- Cool Compress - An easy way to soothe nausea is by applying a cool compress on the back of your neck. By lowering the temperature of your body, you can wash away sickness.
- Applying Pressure - Acupressure can help you ease the symptoms of nausea. Finding your pressure point is easy. Located on your inner wrist approximately 2 ½ inches downwards, set right in between two large tendons. Press on the point and create a circulation motion for a few minutes.
- Meditation - The focus and practice of medication can help you calm your mind and clear your body. Once you find internal peace, you can easily relax enough to push nausea out of your system. Start by taking deep breaths using your mouth, and slowly exhale using your nose. Moreover, you can hold your breath for three seconds and slowly breathe out. Following the process for a few minutes will help ease nausea.
- Shifting Attention - A great way to cut down on the intensity of nausea is by shifting your focus. Rather than dwelling on nausea, you can find ways to distract yourself. It can be anything from taking part in a conversation, playing a game with someone, taking on housework, or even going out for a walk.
- Hydration - An easy way to keep yourself away from nausea is by staying hydrated. Dehydration is a leading cause of sickness and can only be fought with water's right intake. You may not be able to drink excessive water, nor is it required. All you need is eight glasses of water per day. If you cannot drink water on its own, you can infuse it with a slice of fresh fruit.
Following these tips can help keep nausea, and in a way vomiting at bay. While there might not be an exact reason why you are throwing up or feeling nauseous; which is why it's best to take the precaution you can and wait for it to pass. However, if your nausea and vomiting spells are consistent, it's best to see a doctor and get to the cause of your issue.
Yours in self-care,